Saturday, March 28, 2009

Jeremiah

So I have just finished studying the first half of all that this prophet was inspired to say... what a courageous man of God. Initially he begged God not to use him because he claimed he was too young and I was reminded how God chooses us and enables us to fulfill His purposes. There have been so many treasures thus far but the one that just spoke almost audibly to my heart was when Jeremiah, after being beaten, imprisoned, losing all of his friends, and basically being the one who had to tell the Israelites what they did not want to hear- that they needed to turn from their wicked ways and till the soil of their stubborn hearts- after a life of ultimate hardship for carrying his cross for Christ he says,

"But if I say, "I will not remember Him Or speak anymore in His name," Then in my heart it becomes like a burning fire Shut up in my bones; And I am weary of holding it in, And I cannot endure it.

Oh that we would have the courage and the passion of Jeremiah to speak His name to others... that we would refuse to hold it in.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE Jeremiah! I've studied that book before and I also admire his Courage. I have the book Run With Horses by Eugene Peterson (he wrote the Message Bible) it's about Jeremiah. It's a great book to read while studying Jer.
    Here is a quote from it: "Jeremiah's life is evidence that the visions were the educational curriculum that directed development from an insecure youth to a solid, mature adult. Jer. was shaped by the visions, not by the fashions of the day, not by his feelings about himself. We know that he often felt terrible and that he was treated terribly. He often felt weak; he often was near despair. In fact, he was always STRONG. His emotions often failed him; his Faith always held fast."

    I can relate to Jer by feeling weak, but in Christ, I am strong and my hope and faith is secure in the anchor of His Word and by His Spirit that lives in me. ya know?
    SOrry to write so much, but since we changed churches, I am currently without a small group!
    smiles! Love you, jenn

    ReplyDelete