Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Listening to Whispers

She’s screaming and I’m pacing. I have already checked her diaper, given her a drink and a snack, rocked her, and pleaded with lullabies. Finally, I gather the older two around and say we need to pray. These sons of mine hold my hands and we close our eyes. For me even that moment is a prayer of sorts. I say that I have done everything I know to do and I just ask God to show us if there is anything we can do to soothe little sister and bring her an ounce of peace which will then infuse the household.
So you know those times when you hear it right? Like a whisper with impact. Not something muffled though spoken softly it is as clear as a bell. Nurse her. I can’t nurse her I am trying to wean her and she hasn’t nursed in about five days so we are making serious progress. Only a fool attempts to ignore the voice of Wisdom. I submit and realize that her being weaned isn’t really an emergency and the world will continue on its axis if this particular goal of mine is put on hold. We sit down in our favorite yellow glider covered in flowers only seen when you look for them. I pull her close to me and she begins to nurse. I feel her body relax into a place of calm and breathe a sigh of relief. I smile into her face and I know this sweet girl just wanted some comfort.
Because I have slowed His words wash over me….. “Be still and Know” (Psalms 46:10)…….”The God of all Comfort” (2 Cor 1:3) Isn’t that what He does for us? He allows us to dwell beneath His pinions where we are secure and in a place encompassed by his love. “He will cover you with his pinions, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness is a shield and buckler(Psalms 91:4). I know that is the only way I am able to extend love to these precious souls I have been entrusted with. If I had not His love I would be nothing but a clanging symbol. He fills me up so that I can pour out and into the lives He brings my way. How grateful I am, though I don’t have a clue what I should do most of the time, I can rest in Him, lean on Him, and find comfort that surpasses the temporary.

1 comment:

  1. love Love LOVE the word picture of this most precious moment in time...C

    ReplyDelete